This has been a disheartening and disturbing week in Canton. Our neighbor was murdered in her home by assailants who had previously been arrested for burglarizing her house earlier in the year. The horror of this incident has been the tipping point with many residents. Frustration with the city is at an all time high. Over the weekend I spent a lot of time thinking about why I live in Baltimore city and if its worth the fear that goes along with it.
As I was getting lower in my Baltimore danger spiral, I received three emails in a row, one from a neighbor I had never met before but have interacted with on Facebook inquiring how we could work together to help the community, another from Jasa Kabob and one from Chesapeake Wine Company who wanted to join ‘Count on Canton‘. These emails reminded me why I choose to live in Canton and run this blog.
As a community, we have participated in COP walks, written to our elected officials (email@example.com) and called and emailed our mayor (410-396-3835). We are continuing to demand a higher police presence in our neighborhoods and stronger sentences to those who commit crimes. If you haven’t reached out, it’s not too late. Call and email and call again.
Showing our strength as a community, join your neighbors at a ‘Count on Canton‘ restaurant tomorrow, February 5th. Each of these restaurants have signed on to donate a portion of their proceeds to Jon Fogg’s recovery fund. If you don’t have anyone to go with, turn on your porch light, knock on a neighbor’s door and see if they would want to join you. Consider this an indoor stoop night.
Below are our participating restaurants and some specials just for you!
- The Chasseur (3328 Foster Ave) 6 different kinds of Mac & Cheese prepared fresh to order. Also, $5 3FERs in the bar area (3 10 oz Drafts or 3 2 oz wines). Happy Hour until 7pm… $2 Off Drafts, $5 Wines $6 Select Specialty Cocktails, $5 Apps, $7 Small Plates, $10 Sammys
- Verde (641 South Montford Avenue) happy hour goes from 5 to 7 with discounts, kids under 10 getting a free margherita pizza
- Blue Hill Tavern (938 South Conkling Street) Tons of happy hour specials 4-7 pm.
- Tavern on the Square (2903 O’Donnell Street) 1/2 price fish tacos, 1/2 price bottles of wine. Happy hour from 4-7pm, 25% off food, half-off drinks
- Shiso Tavern (2933 O’Donnell Street) Fish Bowls $15 all night as well as happy hour 4-7 pm.
- Smaltimore (2522 Fait Avenue) buy a bottle of wine and receive a complimentary sushi roll!
- Saute (2844 Hudson Street) $2 of select draft beers & Burger night. Select burger and can of beer for $10.
- Pierpoint (1822 Aliceanna St)
- Looney’s (2900 O’Donnell Street and 312 S. Main Street, Belair)
- Mama’s on the Half Shell (2901 O’Donnell Street) Happy Hour specials 4-7 pm: $1 off Beer, $1 off Wines by the glass, $2.75 Rail Drinks, 6 for $6 Chincoteague Oysters, $7.50 1 1/2 lb Mussels, $8.50 1/2 lb Steamed Shrimp, $14 1 lb Steamed Shrimp
- Nacho Mama’s (2907 O’Donnell Street) Happy hour 4-7 pm, $1 off margaritas and all beers.
- Annabell Lee’s Tavern (601 S. Clinton Avenue)
- Hudson Street Stackhouse (2626 Hudson Street) Seafood Night: 1/2 lb Steamed Shrimp $6.99, Crab Cake Sandwich $9.99 and Sauteed Mussels $9.99. $2 Off all Draft Happy Hour until 7pm & 1/2 off Belgian & German Bottles all night.
- Jasa Kabob (2917 O’ Donnell Street) Chicken Seekh Kabob Masala for $9.25, Lamb with Spinach for $10.00, Roasted Eggplant for $9.25, Veggies Pakoras for $5.00, Tandoori Wings for $6.00, Fish Curry for $11.00, Surf N Curry Kabobs for $17, Lamb Curry $10.00, Chicken Jalafrazi $9.25, Okra Masala $9.00. All Orders Served with Naan, Rice, Salad, Green Chutney and Choice of Vegetable
Are you looking for a Valentine’s Day present or want to treat yourself?
Shop at 2910 on the Square and Chesapeake Wine Company who will also be donating a portion of their proceeds from the day. Also, Canton Ace Hardware has organized an amazing raffle which we will announce tomorrow so get excited!